View Single Post
Old April 21 2013, 07:06 PM   #107
Lenny Nurdbol
Lieutenant Commander

Re: What is "canon?"

EliyahuQeoni wrote: View Post
Lenny Nurdbol wrote: View Post

Know why? Just as Abrams isn't a Trek fan, he's really Not a Star Wars fan either--that is, he'll watch the movies but won't touch the books...
So someone isn't "really a fan" if they just enjoy the series in its original medium? Who are you to determine who is "really a fan" of anything?

And all the Fans will Suffer For It!
Well, if the result is anything like Abrams' Star Trek movie, I'll be happy to suffer. My son and I loved it.
There are many different Levels of Fandom, of course...
If someone with no real grasp of science fiction watches an episode or two of Star Trek for the first time, likes it, s/he can claim to be Fan...

HOWEVER, I would Not want such a...Fan...in the director's chair helming the next Star Trek movie... There are far, Far better choices than that...

And the apologists are out there, using that last, desperate, lame excuse to prop-up bad Star Trek: IDIC...
Except that IDIC can only go So Far...

If we took the script to A New Hope and a couple others in That universe...and changed some names... Luke Skywalker to Jim Kirk, R2 to Spock, Threepio to McCoy, Leia to Uhura, Solo to Sulu, Kenobi to Spock Prime, Chewbacca to Chekov, Darth Maul to Nero... The Death Star to a "Romulan mining ship"...Hoth to Delta Vega... The Wampa ice creature to that...thing...on Delta Vega... JarJar Binks to Scotty's silent pal... The Cantina scene to brat-Kirk's bar hangout... Luke's landspeeder to brat-Kirk's stolen antique car...

OK, let me pour myself a drink now...
Lenny Nurdbol is offline   Reply With Quote