View Single Post
Old April 21 2013, 05:38 AM   #11
Sector 7
Vice Admiral
Send a message via AIM to Sector 7
Re: I could fix it if I just had the part!

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
I am full of domestic rage, and it is all directed at my dryer.

The drum stopped spinning. After some thorough investigation, I have learned that it needs a new belt and idler pulley. All of this I learned this afternoon.

What I also learned this afternoon is that you can't buy these parts anywhere. This should be one of the easiest DIY projects ever, but I can't do it because I can't get a hold of new parts unless I order them online.

I went to several hardware/appliance stores, and they all looked at me like I was an idiot. "Of course we don't sell those things, you fool! What were you thinking?"

And then an old man told me to look in the phone book for a company that doesn't exist anymore.

And yes, I know I can air dry my clothes. That is not the point.
FWIW, I have a Whirlpool washer/dryer set for sale... cheap. I inherited a new Whirlpool Cabrio set from my dad. The other set is gathering dust in my garage.

Reader's Digest published a book for DIY over 30 years ago. I purchased it new and it was a Godsend. Using that book, I learned to fix mowers, washers, dryers, cars and more. Since I was just out of college and broke, it came to be my best investment. I am sure most of the information is outdated now, but for older items it is still useful.
“When all Americans are treated as equal, no matter who they are or whom they love, we are all more free.” -Pres. Obama
"A great democracy does not make it harder to vote than to buy an assault weapon." -Pres. Clinton
Sector 7 is offline   Reply With Quote