View Single Post
Old April 20 2013, 11:42 PM   #92
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Re: What is "canon?"

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
EliyahuQeoni wrote: View Post

Exactly, I don't get this talk of people "bailing" and becoming Star Wars fans or whatever, as if you can only be one or the other. I've been a Star Trek fan for as long as I can remember, a Star Wars fan since 1977 and a Doctor Who fan since around 1987. All at the same time. Does that make me some kind of heretic?
Yes. But you're in good company.
I suspect that the Star Wars vs. Star Trek rivalry is largely a myth. Most science fiction fans have probably enjoyed a fair amount of both, as well as ample amounts of Planet of the Apes, Terminator, Aliens, The Matrix, and probably Harry Potter as well.

They're not sports teams. You don't have to root for one against the other.
Yeah, back in the 70s my friends and I were devouring any information about Star Wars and every other SF film or series being made at the time. We never thought of them as rivals for Star Trek. It was more SF!!!!! Yay!!!! When TMP came out we didn't suddenly stop going to Star Wars films.

I think the generation that came of age between ROTJ and TPM went through the same experience as those from the era between TOS and TMP, where books ( and games) were the only source of content for their franchises. So its hard to let go of the stuff you grew up on.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote