View Single Post
Old April 20 2013, 10:05 PM   #223
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Re: The Defiance Thread - News about the Show and Game

ThunderAeroI wrote: View Post
I'm not spending $60.00 on an MMO ever again specially one with transactions, so.... has anyone played the game. I'm curious how it is and how 'typical' it is more an MMO.
First off: there's no subscription fee, so factor that into your price calculations. So far the transactions don't seem to impact gameplay in any sort of "pay to win" fashion - cosmetic items, inventory space, 10% boosts to XP/money earned, or a random loot box (that can also be purchased with in-game resources).

It's an MMO third-person shooter, not an MMORPG. There's a definite main story to drive you forward (unlike what I remember of leveling in WoW), as well as side quests you can do. Loot is only visible to the player it dropped for (no rolling). No world PvP (only instanced, like battlegrounds). There's world boss fights (no grouping - everybody participating gets rewards at the end automatically) and group instances (with a group finder - something TOR screwed up royally).

Asides from the TPS-versus-RPG aspect, I would say it's very similar to WoW. How that's typical versus other MMOs I can't speak to.

If you have more specific questions, I can try to answer them.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote