View Single Post
Old April 20 2013, 06:05 PM   #67
Lenny Nurdbol
Lieutenant Commander

Re: What is "canon?"

BillJ wrote: View Post
Who bailed exactly? No one I know has.
I can't say exactly... It's based on polls...

And it's based upon counting the numbers of many long-time fans no longer being fans... Yeah, some die, some end up in nursing homes, and some just go along with the latest and greatest thing on the market... Others "jump ship" to Star Wars or Doctor Who or whatever...

Personally I'd blame the attitude of Trek being a cash cow and fans being milked for all they're worth... Since TOS ended there's been a graduate decline in quality writing and character development in spinoff series and movies...

It in turn extends to the novels and other publications...
The attitude? Just put anything out that looks half decent, fans'll buy it up, no need to put any real work or effort into being consistent with earier books... You know, it's all fiction so who gives a tribble's shaved ass! So long as it Sells and makes money... Money is all that matters...

Getting back to Star Wars vs. Star Trek there's something else I'd like to add... And that is Paramount's outlandish attitude towards fans being fans or doing their own zines and what not... It's gotten well out of hand within the past decade or more... Lawsuits, threats...they're gunning for fans at times! Paramount wants anything and everything Trek under its control and won't so much as let a penny slip out from under them... And talking Tech, I mean frigging wow--Only Two People are granted permission by Pocket Books to do anything Treknical in the 21st Century (OK, Three if you count Geoffrey Mandel)...

I have to hand it to George Lucas for allowing fans far more leeway in the Star Wars universe... Making their own films and what not... This is what I mean about "jumping ship" and joining the Rebellion...
Lenny Nurdbol is offline   Reply With Quote