View Single Post
Old April 19 2013, 11:19 PM   #442
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

Re: Last Classic Who Story you watched

Iamnotspock wrote: View Post
Pindar wrote: View Post
Battlefield, I like Ben Aaronivitch's work, especially his Rivers of London books.

Some of the dialogue is great in this story plus the Brig is in it, I still don't like Banberra though.
Shame.
Indeed, shame! Brigadier Winifred Bambera was a wonderful character!

Aldo wrote: View Post
Remembrance of the Daleks

First time viewing here, and I enjoyed it a lot. Outside of The Five Doctors it's also my first time seeing Daleks in the original series, and I think they might even be more terrifying here then they are in the new series. I know this serial has ties to An Unearthly Child but I have yet to view that particular serial, or anything with the first Doctor for that matter.

They do gloss over this a tad, but the Doctor committing mass genocide is a pretty dark and scary place to take the character. Granted it's probably glossed over because it was the Daleks, and he did manipulate Davros into doing it...
The issue of the Doctor, mass genocide, and the Daleks has been explored ever since Genesis of the Daleks, when the Doctor has it in his power to completely and forever destroy the Daleks before they ever really become Daleks. He hesitates, torn by the question "Do I have that right?"

It's a powerful scene, and in my opinion is one of THE defining moments of the Tom Baker era.

The last story I watched was The Robots of Death, on Netflix. However, I've been buying some of my favorites on Amazon - all 6 Key to Time stories in one set; ditto the E-Space stories, and the Keeper of Traken/Logopolis/Castrovalva arc...

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote