View Single Post
Old April 19 2013, 09:51 PM   #28
Lenny Nurdbol
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Are All Universes Ultimately Connected?

Captain McBain wrote: View Post
Do you think that all universes are ultimately connected? Not just the various Star Trek universes (e.g., the DS9 Mirror Universe), but all fictional universes, such as the Robocop universe, the Terminator universe, the He-Man universe, the DC and Marvel universes, etc. Even cartoon universes, such as the Looney Tunes universe.

Could someone theoretically travel to any of these fictional universes (all being a part of the multiverse), or are they not connected in any way?
I travel to them all the time... I think I'm in one now...
Perhaps in another I was born with a different name and died there...

I think Star Trek (2009) conclusively proves that anything can happen in Star Trek, even non-Star Trek can happen in Star Trek!

The TNG episode "Parallels" defines this for you...
It's also the only way to reconcile all the Trek novels and zine stories... There are different Trek universes, different Trek timelines... I'm not talking anything as drastic as "Mirror, Mirror" just slightly different Trek timelines...

Here's some popular ones...
The UFP is founded in 2127 and has thousands of different starship classes... ST-TMP takes place in 2267... That's classic Treknical fandom...
In another it's founded as early as 2087, with a 21st Century that's virtually a new Golden Age... No wars until the Romulans come along...
That's Spaceflight Chronology and FASA for you...
The 5-year mission starts as early as 2206 or 2207 here, too...
Then there's this horrible one with Xindi critters in the 22nd Century, the Federation doesn't get founded until 2161, Vulcans are just as emotional and illogical as Romulans (and by the time you finish up on the novels in this timeline you'll know that Everyone knows who the Romulans look like!), phasers are in use before or instead of lasers, and with TOS only starting around 2265 or 2266...

Then there's this Horrible one with Red Matter from the future, a supernova which can destroy the galaxy, Sulu who thinks he's a Ninja, Delta Vega that is no longer at the edge of the galaxy but in Vulcan orbit, and starships that are built whole On Planets and reportedly powered by water that flows through these huge glass pipes in an engine room resembling a brewery, and this thing called Transwarp Beaming which can transport people anywhere in the universe--even aboard starships at warp speed... In this strange universe, Star Fleet operates along different principles; for instance, rank and the chain of command is meaningless--instead, the kid with the biggest mouth commands and is, in fact, given captaincy of their newest and most powerful starship!

Last edited by Lenny Nurdbol; April 19 2013 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Supplemental
Lenny Nurdbol is offline   Reply With Quote