View Single Post
Old April 19 2013, 07:30 PM   #98
Lenny Nurdbol
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Franz Joseph Blueprints Revisited

Much has already been written about it, but let me just say straight out that Franz Joseph's influence on the first few Star Trek films cannot be underestimated, despite the fact that he had nothing directly to do with those films!

Various deck plans and graphics of FJ's appear on bridge monitors... I think that alone in some way gives some validity to them...but it doesn't end there of course... There's much, much more... Background dialogue of "matrix restoration coils"and such heard in the first two films is straight from the Technical Manual... Admiral Kirk's travel pod shuttle in ST II has numerous plaques mounted on its interior bulkhead walls which are reproductions of the Flags and Seals of Federation worlds from the Technical Manual... The now very visible phaser bank emplacements on the movie Enterprise's hull are clearly derived from his blueprints' ball-and-socket styled phaser banks in the Booklet of General Plans... When we see turbolifts moving through the vertical shafts their outlines with their curiously curved upper and lower sections are straight out of the FJ cutaway of the Enterprise in his blueprints...
When we are first introduced to Epsilon 9 in ST-TMP we hear subspace radio chatter about the starships Columbia, Revere, and Entente--their names And their stated NCC registries and types come straight out of the Technical Manual! The UFP Seal in San Francisco in the first film is clearly derived from FJ's UFP Seal...
In ST IV there's another shot of San Francisco and on a building is not only a UFP seal but the Same UFP seal that FJ designed for the Technical Manual (and it is in fact right on the center of the cover of the original issue of the manual!).

I guess you have to be a real fan of the nuts and bolts components of the Trek mythos to truly appreciate it all though...
Lenny Nurdbol is offline   Reply With Quote