View Single Post
Old April 18 2013, 08:30 PM   #149
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Re: Brannon Braga: Not a Diane Carey Fan?

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post

Perhaps. But I imagine that Pocket would have been happier and Star Trek novels would have sold better if fans hadn't been told repeatedly that the books didn't count. .
On the other hand, it's worth noting that there's a potential dark side to treating tie-in books as canon.
I never said that the books should be treated as canon. I didn't even bring up canon.

My point was that by saying the books don't count Arnold was giving fans a very good reason to not buy a product. And it's possible, even likely, that there were people who didn't buy the books or the novels for that very reason; why spend money on a product if you're told that you're wasting your money on something that's unimportant? Essentially, Arnold was costing Pocket Books money, and by costing Pocket money he was costing Paramount money.
Good point. I was too fast on the trigger of the anti-canon rant, probably as a result of too many years of dealing with the topic as both an editor and writer. At this point, as I like to joke, when I hear the word "canon," I reach for my disruptor.

It should be noted that this subject is not exclusive to Trek or Who. No matter what the franchise, there's always a percentage of fans who really, really want to know if the books are "canon" or not. Did Arnold's insistence on drawing a public line between canon and non-canon material create or/promote this mentality? I'm not sure. Comic book fans tend to be equally obsessed with having to know which old issues are in "continuity" or not, but that probably has more to do with the way comic book companies tend to periodically reboot and revamp their universes . . . .