View Single Post
Old April 18 2013, 08:15 PM   #148
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Re: Brannon Braga: Not a Diane Carey Fan?

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post

Perhaps. But I imagine that Pocket would have been happier and Star Trek novels would have sold better if fans hadn't been told repeatedly that the books didn't count. .
On the other hand, it's worth noting that there's a potential dark side to treating tie-in books as canon.
I never said that the books should be treated as canon. I didn't even bring up canon.

My point was that by saying the books don't count Arnold was giving fans a very good reason to not buy a product. And it's possible, even likely, that there were people who didn't buy the books or the novels for that very reason; why spend money on a product if you're told that you're wasting your money on something that's unimportant? Essentially, Arnold was costing Pocket Books money, and by costing Pocket money he was costing Paramount money.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote