View Single Post
Old April 18 2013, 11:23 AM   #287
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Re: 50th Anniversary Story Official Thread

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
... if they don't bring in a classic Doctor but they do bring in a new previous Doctor, I wouldn't like that.

On the other hand, if they do bring in a classic Doctor and they have Hurt as well, that's just fine!

I just don't want Hurt at the expense of a classic Doctor. I don't mind what such a development would do the series history though, as long as it was a good story.

Mr Awe
This sums my thoughts up exactly. I agree that the prospect of there being a previous Doctor out there is intriguing, for the same reasons as generated by The Brain Of Morbius. However, if the 50th anniversary special is to feature multiple Doctors, then I think it should be an opportunity for past Doctors from the show to return, whether recast or (preferably) played by the original actors.

A few days ago, for example, someone (Brendan Moody ?)said that maybe only 50,000 people would care about Paul McGann's Eighth Doctor. Fair enough point but surely he's at least as important as Hurt's Doctor? Those who don't already know him can come to be interested in him at least as easily as they can become interested in Hurt's Doctor.

I have no complaints about an acting titan like Hurt being in DW but if his character (assuming he's a Doctor) comes at the expense of a 'classic' Doctor, I think it's a bit of a wasted opportunity. I think a story like that might be better told within a regular series run.