View Single Post
Old April 18 2013, 04:47 AM   #79
WarpFactorZ
Captain

Re: STID: The ‘Other' Starship / [Spoiler]

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
Are people really still reciting the Catalog of Stylistic Complaints™ rather than simply saying that they'd rather it looked exactly like the Original Series Enterprise or the TMP Refit? Because none of those details are "wrong" by any other yardstick.
I have zero stylistic complaints -- I like the design, and I think it's very true to the TOS/TMP refit. What I don't like is the sudden shift in scale that happens every scene. I read an interview where an ILM animator said that they scaled the ship to "whatever looked good." 725m 1200m, 30m, whatever fits in the frame.

Look, I teach college science to kids who don't have any concept about the scale of the metric system. They think a ball dropped from a table to the floor will end up with a speed of 1000 m/s. Why should I expect some animator who went to film school to understand the scale any more? They aren't engineers or architects -- they focus on aesthetics. So if something looks better being three times the size it really is, then it becomes three times the size.

The exterior of the nu-E is a carbon copy of the exterior of the TMP-E. Ergo, it is the same size. If they really wanted to scale it up, they should have made the effort to do more than resize a JPG by 200%. Grade: FAIL.

Last edited by WarpFactorZ; April 18 2013 at 04:57 AM.
WarpFactorZ is offline   Reply With Quote