View Single Post
Old April 17 2013, 05:24 AM   #36
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Re: STID: The ‘Other' Starship / [Spoiler]

WarpFactorZ wrote: View Post
trevanian wrote: View Post
The Abramsprise is 725 meters and that is coming from ILM ... that is a kind of BS given that it was designed to be something over 3000 ft long according to John Eaves. Either way, that ship is at least 2.5 times the size of Enterprise true.
The new Enterprise model kit from Revell is listed as 1:500 scale. Assuming it's about 24" in size, that makes the "actual" length about 1000 ft. Not sure how "canon" that is, but it's much more in-line with the original size.

I think at some point or another, ILM has to come clean and admit they screwed up.
This was production's screwup, not ILM's -- and believe me I am no apologist for that company. When I was doing an article about the Abrams09, ILM -- for the first time in nearly 20 years of dealing with them -- completely flaked on getting me on the phone with the VFX supes, and when I called their main PR guy on his doublespeak and disingenuous dismissals concerning what Kerner Optical did on the show, and questioned him on the endless procrastination that led to the article going stillborn, I was told to never contact their PR dept again. (I still write articles that include ILM interview participation, but only arranged via studios employing them, never direct to PR.)

Back on topic: Look at the size of the hangar (or better still, find old threads with pics that discuss this in overwhelming detail.) That weird jungle gym of metal the shuttles fly into is ridiculously huge, and nowhere near in scale to what we see in TOS or TFF or even, briefly, in TMP. The Revell number sounds like wishful thinking, because 1000 ft is what the thing OUGHT to be.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote