Old April 16 2013, 10:15 PM   #366
Sadara
Lieutenant Commander

View Sadara's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to Sadara
Re: Janeway's Decision to Kill Tuvix

BillJ wrote: View Post
Sadara wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post

In that case, Kirk needed to be integrated, because "good Kirk" was incapable of being a captain - without his dark side, as it were, he couldn't exercise command decisions. Also, "evil Kirk" was an evident threat to the ship. So those two things make it more obvious in Kirk's case than in Tuvix's.
That's my point though. If Tuvix was evil would that make a more palatable case for the decision to bring Tuvok and Neelix back? I'm interested in finding out how much the actual character of the individual influences how people feel about Tuvix and his right to life.
That was what I and other posters were getting at earlier. Guess I should have used 'evil' instead of 'sentient monster'.
Sorry, I hadn't been reading the thread for a few days and didn't get as far back as I probably should have. Let's throw sentient monster Kirk out there and see what happens...

And the evil Kirk and good Kirk dying as a reason to reintegrate them isn't working for me when the argument against restoring Tuvok and Neelix is they died when they were integrated into one being. Along those lines Regular Kirk died when he was split into two sentient beings with rights. I personally don't agree with this, but following that argument both Kirks should have been allowed to die as the natural course of things in that episode. Or McCoy would simply have had to find a way to save both Kirks without reintegrating them in order to avoid violating the Hippocratic Oath or whatever.

And never mind all the things regular Kirk accomplished as a result of being reintegrated because that just doesn't hold up against evil Kirk's right to live.

Last edited by Sadara; April 16 2013 at 10:28 PM.
Sadara is offline   Reply With Quote