View Single Post
Old April 16 2013, 09:34 PM   #354
teya
Vice Admiral

Re: Janeway's Decision to Kill Tuvix

BillJ wrote: View Post
teya wrote: View Post
Deckerd wrote: View Post
Yes you could. If you were a parent you would do it without blinking.
I don't know a single parent who would kill an innocent person to bring back a child.

And, since it appears to be Kes's plea to bring back her lover (and Janeway's desire to have Kes avoid the grief she & the rest of the crew feel at being separated from their loved ones) that helps Janeway to the final decision, I can state categorically:

I could not and would never even consider killing someone to save my sweetie.

Perhaps, in the view of people here, that means I didn't love him enough.
As far as that stream of thought goes: I'm not sure anyone knows with certainty what they would do in a situation like that until they were actually in that type of situation.
You're kidding, right?

I'm sorry, but there was no question in my mind before I even met my sweetie that I would kill someone to provide a medical cure for someone I loved.

That's really a no-brainer, isn't it? Or is life so fucking cheap these days that there are actually people out there who would think it absolutely moral to kill someone to provide a kidney for their lover?

It's not often an argument on a Star Trek board leaves me speechless, but congrats! You just did.

Here's a news flash, folks. Death is the *only* thing we are guaranteed when we're born. And it's inevitable. We cannot avoid losing people we love. We certainly can't justify killing someone else to keep our loved ones with us longer.