Old April 16 2013, 08:34 PM   #326
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Janeway's Decision to Kill Tuvix

R. Star wrote: View Post
Melakon wrote: View Post
R. Star wrote: View Post
Just because he was brought into being in a manner that's different from us doesn't invalidate his life or give him any less rights than anyone else. Frankly that's a bit disturbing that you so casually remark that just because someone's different they're less of a person. But it's a common theme in humanity to dehumanize anyone to rationalize their death in their mind.
My position has always been that Janeway has an obligation to the lives of her crew, and to do what's best for the ship. It's not a question of whether it's "right" based on human rights moralities, but whether it's to the benefit of the ship.
Disclosure: I have never been a parent, so this undoubtedly affects how I view the issue.
A fellow named Hitler used a similar argument towards his obligations to Germany.
At the end of the day, setting 70,000 light-years from the Alpha Quadrant, it's a simple numbers game. Unless we're going to make Tuvix work sixteen hours a day in both security and in the kitchen, two people are simply better to help Voyager attain its goal of getting home.

In the AQ, it's a different ballgame.