View Single Post
Old April 16 2013, 04:03 AM   #55
Warped9
Admiral

Re: S.S. Valiant Appearance

blssdwlf wrote: View Post
In many programs you can set in the material/shader/texture the "smoothing angle" to tell the renderer when to smooth an edge. You might not need to add additional geometry.
Yep, I'm going to try that first.

Overall I rather like how this is coming together. I think it has an overall look that could fit into Jefferies' general approach. I'm trying to add a decent measure of detail without going overboard on it so the end result looks like it could be convincingly pre TOS just as the Botany Bay was. Mind you the BB wasn't all that detailed, but then it didn't have to be since its appearances onscreen were rather brief and its weathering could hide a lack of overall detail. With the Valiant I'm treating it almost as if it were to be a "hero" ship with a fair amount if screen time. In actuality, though, if it were to have made an appearance in WNMHGB it likely would have been brief and unclear such as appearing on one of Spock's overhead screens.

Candidly I've never really cared for the Star Trek Chronology's version of the Valiant. It just doesn't work for me and doesn't look like something that we might have seen in TOS. He'll, I don't think it looks as good as the Botany Bay.

Last edited by Warped9; April 16 2013 at 04:15 AM.
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote