View Single Post
Old April 16 2013, 02:17 AM   #114
rfmcdpei
Captain

View rfmcdpei's Twitter Profile
Re: Brannon Braga: Not a Diane Carey Fan?

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
rfmcdpei wrote: View Post
this would go a long way towards explaining why a prolific Trek novelist would suddenly stop producing new novels.
IIRC, she stopped writing ST novels to dabble in local politics?
Quite possibly that's what she did after she stopped writing Star Trek novels. It is curious, though, that she abruptly stopped writing Star Trek novels after Broken Bow came out. This is especially so since she seems to have been on the verge of starting a new novel-only series, Challenger, that was apparently already plotted out. Despite this, it all came to a halt.

The OP put forward a compelling explanation: Carey's style of writing, which could be seen as slighting non-TOS series, got her in trouble when she novelized the Enterprise series premier. By their own words, the producers of Enterprise noted her novelization, took offense, and complained to Pocket Books. One states that she was reprimanded. Subsequently, Carey hasn't had published any Star Trek titles, including titles that she seems to have plotted out.

Use of Time wrote: View Post
If you want to see novelizations done right than you'll have to go back to Vonda McIntyre's work with the three movie saga. (TWOK, TSFS, TVH) Those are the only novelizations I personally have found memorable.
If you noticed, Vonda McIntyre had a falling out with Richard Arnold on the ST IV novelization; it was one of the first books that Roddenberry got him to vet rather than Susan Sackett, IIRC. RA hated the authors adding new material and would mention it at conventions. You can see that, after the sequence with the San Francisco trash collectors (McIntyre makes their lines quotes from a Hollywood script they're writing together), she totally stops adding additional material for the rest of the book. It was also her last book for "Star Trek".
A pity. This explains the large gap between Rihannsu novels, too, right?

Christopher wrote: View Post
TheAlmanac wrote: View Post
This entire thread is speculation about another person's motives--we're all trying to infer someone's feelings based mostly on textual evidence and an interview with someone else.
Yes, and that's why we should take it all with a grain of salt and not get carried away with our conclusions.
Because I'm not plugged into fandom at all, I have to ask what explanations if any there were for Carey's absence from Treklit.

Dukhat wrote: View Post
[T]here's no evidence for that whatsoever, other than your assertion that because both Stiles and Styles were jerks, they must be related to each other. If that were the case, then every boss of every job I've ever had must have been related too
Indeed. My personal experience as a McDonald is that I'm not closely related to MacDonalds at all--different transliterations from the Gaelic, sure, but also different origins behind these different spellings.
rfmcdpei is offline   Reply With Quote