View Single Post
Old April 26 2005, 06:42 AM   #33
Emperor Tiberius
Commodore

Re: TBBS Fanfic Recommendations

Think nothing of it Starkers, it's how I feel, and the comments are well deserved.

Posted by Naraht:
It is indeed very difficult to spot errors when they're your own. Have you ever tried having someone else proofread your fiction, though? I have six friends who read my stories critically before I post them publicly; only three of them read for grammar/spelling/typos, but even so, that's enough to ensure that the story is pretty clean before it goes up on TrekBBS. I would highly recommend this approach, if you can find people generous enough to spare their time.
I've never been huge on the whole beta thing. In the 99 fics I've posted to this bbs (counting only the ones 15-80 pages), I have only employed a beta reader when said reader was also contributing to the project, and I wanted to maintain our own story continuity. Never for the purpose of catching grammatical mistakes. Now, that's my own personal preference to be sure, but you Naraht say you employ three checkers just for spelling, but yet when I was casually reading your "How to advance your career through marriage" I spotted 12 errors without even trying, some of them quite blatant, so using beta's is obviously far from a perfect method.

Of course, a good reason I don't usually use beta's myself is that I produce 30-40 pages of copy a week, every week, and I wouldn't wish that editing responsibility on my worst enemy.

1800fics The greatest stories ever written in exactly thirty minutes...
Emperor Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote