Thread: arrrgh!!!!!!!!
View Single Post
Old April 15 2013, 02:40 AM   #235
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

Re: arrrgh!!!!!!!!

Peach Wookiee wrote: View Post
tsq, are you a brittle diabetic or is your sugar usually pretty level? My dad and I are in a quandry with my mom at the moment and I need to know if there's something I'm missing.
Is your mom type 1? Because, as I noted before, type 1 and type 2 aren't even the same disease, so my experiences will be very different to someone with type 2. However, if there are any questions I can help you with, I am fairly well-educated about both type 1 and type 2 diabetes, and would be happy to share anything I know, or point you to some good resources.

As far as I know, Brittle Diabetes is just an outdated term for uncontrolled type 1 diabetes. I have generally good control. My A1C has always run between 6.5 and 7.5, with the exception of the current 8 (which was planned, to err on the safe side while switching to pump therapy and calibrating the pump) and one massive 14 when I was in my mid twenties and suffered Diabetes Burnout. Type 1 diabetics are not expected to achieve the same kind of control that is possible for type 2 diabetics, nor would that be possible, even under the best circumstances. The kind of upswing I mentioned in my earlier post is not atypical or alarming for a type 1 diabetic. A type 2 might freak out and call their doctor if they saw a number like that on their meter, but a type 1 will generally just get annoyed and take some insulin. Hell, I've had my glucose be so high that my meter wouldn't read it a few times (most meters cut off around 600 and just say "HI"), and I just took insulin and waited for it to go down.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote