View Single Post
Old April 14 2013, 06:01 PM   #55
Christopher
Writer

Re: Scooby Doo Mystery Inc. - New episodes 3/25

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
I'm pretty sure Coolsville didn't come until later series.
It originated in A Pup Named Scooby-Doo. Which was sort of an antecedent to SDMI, because it was another revisionist Scooby series designed to appeal to people who weren't Scooby fans, done in much more of a Looney Tunes style and with more satire and self-reference (by some of the people who'd go on to do Tiny Toon Adventures and the like). But apparently the background it established has been treated as canonical by the later films and shows.

It certainly felt like they were going from place to place instead of being in one town.
If you say so. I'm just going by the Wiki descriptions.

USS Mariner wrote: View Post
The prequel idea is problematic in another way because the Dinkley's museum establishes that all of the classic monsters we're familiar with are already "history", which at the time implied that the series was going to be a "soft sequel", i.e. only keeping elements that were integral to the series formula, but ditching stuff no one remembers like Coolsville or the ages of the gang (which frankly makes more sense for the 60's gang to have been teenagers rather than adults. )
It's an alternate continuity, drawing on some elements of earlier ones yet remixing them. Just like the various other alternate Scooby continuities out there like the live-action films.

Scoobypedia seems to recognize four distinct alternate continuities that aren't counted as part of the mainstream: the two live-action film continuities (one for the two theatrical "sequel" films and one for the two made-for-TV "prequel" films), and the last two Cartoon Network series, Shaggy and Scooby-Doo Get a Clue! and SDMI. That is to say, the versions of the main characters in those four continuities all have their own separate entries from the core-continuity versions of the characters. (Also there's some ambiguity about whether "the Scrappy-Doo years" are counted as canonical by later mainstream works.)

I'm not sure why the Wiki treats the two live-action continuities as separate. Maybe it's because Velma is Asian-American in the prequel movies.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote