View Single Post
Old April 14 2013, 10:16 AM   #13
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

Re: Why I Wrote A Mad Men Episode With Negroes, by Erika Alexander

IndyJones wrote: View Post
Tosk wrote: View Post
And I've never understood how seeing your own ethnicity/race in a production somehow makes it better. But maybe that's just me?
Mostly just you, I expect. In addition to being more true to life, it certainly does make a difference to see people who look like you, or act like you, on screen.

sidious618 wrote: View Post
I 100% agree with her on all those shows except Mad Men. Mad Men is about the rich, entitled pricks in business at the time and those were largely white men along with a few white women thrown in.
Agreed.

Now, they could have created plot lines that would have placed the characters in more diverse situations, and they certainly could have covered the Civil Rights Movement in more depth, but I don't have much of a problem with the way they're depicting the era. Hell, I was born in the 80's and my high school was whiter than SCDP is.

That said, any other show taking place in NYC that goes weeks at a time showing only white people? Insane.
Indeed.

Now, they need to start showing how ad agencies courted the Afro-American consumer in the 1960's (which did happen with the selling of a certain brand of malt liquor around 1966.) That, and the realization that other type of products need to be targeted to Afro-Americans as well.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote