View Single Post
Old April 14 2013, 05:48 AM   #111
Caje
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: "Plato's Stepchildren:" Kirk-Uhura Rape Scene?

Danger Ace wrote: View Post
Caje wrote: View Post

The fact that the kiss happened in 1968, one year after the ruling, is pretty damn remarkable in my opinion, regardless of if it was forced.
So by your reckoning all the cases of white men forcing themselves upon black women because they felt they could get away with it were merely just steps toward the acceptance interracial relationships?

Intent, free will, motive, etc. don't matter?

Nobody believes that.
First of all, it's already been established that this isn't the case of a white man forcing himself on a black woman, it's two people being sexually assaulted by a third party. I don't know why you feel the need to keep falling back on that argument. But the main problem with your post is that you somehow equated a kiss portrayed on television by actors, who willingly volunteered to be a part of the scene, with someone sexually assaulting someone else on the street.

To expound on my position, I find the scene remarkable because it displayed a kiss between a white actor and a black actor on national television. How many actors would be willing to do that given the possible repercussions from within the industry? And how many television shows would risk possibly alienating a large segment of the audience? That’s why the kiss was important, and that’s also why context doesn’t matter.

Last edited by Caje; April 14 2013 at 06:11 AM.
Caje is offline   Reply With Quote