View Single Post
Old April 14 2013, 12:26 AM   #36
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

Re: Morrisey: 'Margret Thatcher did not give a shit about people'

gturner wrote: View Post
She had a lot of enemies in music, but all things considered, both they and the UK are far better off than being Greece, which pretty much is what the UK would look like if she hadn't radically changed its course: Little or no industry, unemployment at 27%, everyone dependent on state pensions and payments, and the government held hostage to union demands. I'm sure that any Greek politician who takes the harsh steps necessary to get that country back on track will become the most hated man in his own country, despised because he doesn't care about the people... unlike multi-millionaire rock stars who've snorted up half of Columbia and made a fortune bitching about Margaret Thatcher. ^_^

Case in point:

Penny Rimbaud of anarcho-punk radicals Crass once told me: "I think Thatcher was an absolute fairy godmother. Christ, you're an anarchist band trying to complain about the workings of capitalist society and you get someone like Thatcher. What a joy!"
link
I'm sorry, but avoiding the situation in Greece is not an excuse for what she did the United Kingdom. In fact, what she did made things even worse, for manufacturing is now (mostly) gone (except for a few firms like Honda, and Toyota) unemployment is just as worse as in Greece, and things generally are shit all over the UK-just like Greece. Thatcher was just a silly woman with no real idea of how to build anything except to do the same crap that Reagan/Bush and Byron Muldoon did, and I won't mourn her-I will mourn for the shitty way she destroyed a people and a nation.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote