View Single Post
Old April 13 2013, 06:17 PM   #30
Adm. Maleficent
Vice Admiral

Re: Animated nuTrek concept art

Shaka Zulu wrote: View Post
CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
I hate to be critical, but what we see here is the easy part. The hard part is getting the characters right. And we don't see any of that, here.

Those vague tiny featureless renders of Kirk, Spock, and some red shirt dwarfed by the Big Alien Things don't count.

Furthermore, the unrealistic proportions of the characters that we can discern don't impress me at all; quite the opposite, actually. I can only hope that the character drawings here are thumbnail placeholders in lieu of actual character drawings to be inserted once it's figured out exactly how to draw them (e.g., regard a faceless Spock).

Unfortunately, in Green Lantern, the character style is to render people with exaggerated proportions, and these sketches seem to suggest that the treatment might go in that direction, too. That sort of character style works in GL, but I have grave doubts about it working in Star Trek.

Consequently, I'm unimpressed, and actually concerned.
Agreed. I too also love Green Lantern, but I don't necessarily want to see its style on a new Star Trek cartoon (nor do I want to see the style of Star Wars: The Clone Wars or Dragons: Riders of Berk just slavishly copied for any new animated series based on Star Trek, either.)

As I've said (and shown) before, this style is the kind of style that should be done for a new series:

Frankly, SZ, I don't get your fascination with Aurora. It isn't just the soulless characters and animation. The whole concept is boring. It's just April O'Neill and a T'Pol clone delivering stuff...and that "teaser" just flat out promises a stupid episode 2.

-Maleficent
Adm. Maleficent is offline   Reply With Quote