View Single Post
Old April 12 2013, 10:14 PM   #60
JWolf
Commodore

Re: E-Books or Paper Books

JD wrote: View Post
Sxottlan wrote: View Post
All paperback. Still love the look of books. Still love how they feel. Still love the simplicity. I read some of these ebook threads and people talk about having to hack files and disabling this or that (and that apparently you don't actually own these ebooks but more lease them is that right?) and I think, no not for me. Sounds too complicated. I have to stare at computer screens all day. I know many of these devices don't really look like a computer screen, but I just don't care. It's still an electronic device where I have to worry about power levels and what not when it's not even necessary.
You don't need to do all of the hacking in order to enjoy the average e-book. As far as I know the only times people do that is if you are trying to read a e-book on a device it isn't authorized for, or trying to get into options not available on the unhacked version of the file. I've been reading e-books for years, and I have never hacked one, and I've been perfectly happy with them. I don't even know how do all of the hacking stuff that people have talked about on here.
If by hacking, you mean removing the DRM, once setup for that, it's as easy as dragging and dropping the eBook into Calibre. That's all I do and the DRM is removed. I am then able to do with them as I want. It's not actually hacking.

OmahaStar wrote: View Post
I think the reason so many people "hack" their ebooks (which is really just copying/backing up the files to another hard drive, and removing the DRM) is because Amazon has shown more than once a willingness to go into people's accounts and remove an ebook people have paid for. Sure, they apologize for it, but they proved with no doubt that they can and will do it. That says to me that you're not buying anything more than a license.
The real reasons most strip the DRM is so the eBooks will still be usable in the future. If you have Kindle eBooks now and want to switch to an ePub Reader, then you'd have to have the DRM removed so you can convert to ePub. It also means that your eBooks are yours. You don't have to worry that sometime in the futureI, the DRM will prevent you from actually doing anything with them.

Take a look at Mobipocket eBooks and MS Reader eBooks... Those are eBooks a lot of people have probably lost access to.