View Single Post
Old April 12 2013, 02:54 PM   #277
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile
Re: 7X07 The Rings of Akhenaten (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

Slugboy wrote: View Post
Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Slugboy wrote: View Post
From a plot viewpoint, I can't figure out why Merry thought it was a good idea to pin Clara to the Mummy's display case using telekinesis (at least, that's what it looked like).
I assumed it was the Mummy that did that.
That's what I thought too, on first watching. It certainly would have made more sense, from a plot viewpoint.

But when I rewatch it, as Clara extends her hand to Merry, the latter furrows her brow and puts her hands to her temples and Clara is pinned to the display case, while Merry glares at her. After the Doctor convinces her "everyone else will be fine" she glances back at Clara and Clara is released.
That's the way I saw it, too.

Which, on reflection, makes a little bit of sense. You have a civilization of psychometrists who barter with memories impressed on objects, so you've established there's something psionic about them all. Then there's the odd bit with sound jumping from the asteroid city to the asteroid pyramid thousands of meters away. Even assuming there's an Integral Trees explanation for an atmosphere in that region of space, sound doesn't move that quickly. Yet the Doctor heard the singing pretty much as soon as it started. And the face reacted just as fast. So, in addition to psychometry, these people appear to communicate with their god/parasite planet telepathically.

So telekinesis too? No problem.