View Single Post
Old April 12 2013, 09:36 AM   #122
Starkers
Admiral

Re: Margaret Thatcher dead at 87

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
junxon wrote: View Post
meh, could be worse, could have the american system. that looks very dodgy.
The Americans also use FPTP, but the problems with that electoral system are less pronounced there because they only have two major political parties, at least at the federal level. Although the 1992 Presidential election also shows the shortcomings of their system as Ross Perot won almost 20% of the popular vote yet achieved absolutely no electoral college votes.

Starkers wrote: View Post
If you want a government to really change things (be it Conservatvie or Labour or even the Lib Dems) then they need to have the mandate to do so.
I reject the notion that you need single-party majority governments to change things, and I say that as someone who lives in a country that hasn't experienced such a thing in my lifetime. It's a threat perpetuated by large parties in the UK so as not to undermine their power. It requires more work and a willingness to compromise, but those aren't bad things to ask of people who control the destinies of millions of lives. If anything, Thatcher's ability to wreck the economies of whole regions of the UK so long as she maintained support among 42% of voters is the perfect example of the dangers of single-party rule in parliamentary systems.
But what happens when people won't compromise? You end up with the status quo ad infinitum, in particular around any especially contentious issue; abortion, gun control etc.

Haggis and tatties wrote: View Post
I see the media(ITN news on this occasion), have been hounding Scargill in the hopes he goes off on some wild man rant about Thatchers passing or they catch him raising a glass and having a jig over it, and because he has not, he has, accorording to the media, "Gone to ground" as if he were some fugitive on the run, they spent almost 10 mins on this non story.

But all is not lost, they got Scargill's ex wife to say Thatcher was evil and she was glad she was dead, so it all worked out in the end for them.
ah Scargill, one miner who did all right for himself.

Gil T.Azell wrote: View Post
One of our Technical inspectors at work got an E-mail from his Brother in England , saying he was over joyed.
(From what he told me she had cost him his job and such by shutting down mining?), and the No. 1 down load there was
"♫ Ding-Dong, the Witch is dead.♫"
I have no opinion other than a family has lost a mother, grandmother ..
Yes, and in addition I'd argue that the Maggie people hated so much actually died several years ago given the apparent progression of her dementia. By all accounts the woman who died on Monday didn't neccesarily fully know who she was, or who friends/family members were any more.

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote