View Single Post
Old April 12 2013, 09:18 AM   #25
Danger Ace
Commander

Re: The Roddenberry Reputation

trevanian wrote: View Post
Taking into account the fact that Ellison was already persona non grata at ABC courtesy Adriam Samish and would remain so for another couple years, any such threat seems all too real to me.
I don't doubt that Ellision may have been worried about his reputation and previous experiences limiting his future opportunities. I do not believe he feared Gene Roddenberry or placed much stock in any threat he may have made. Even what you say indicates he was more afraid of this being perhaps the straw that broke the camel's back and not GR per se.

Plus he just ain't got no reason to lie about it.
Nothing causes me to question something more than when they say that.

If you think about it, just about everybody seems to have deceived Ellison during his trek experience, except maybe Nimoy & Kelley ...
I'm sorry but Ellison was a seasoned pro, and I don't think he was decieved - at least to the extent some would put forth. You and others can believe as you wish.

And the bottom line is that for whatever reason Gene Roddenberry as series' creator/executive-producer had every right to have Harlan's script re-written. He invoked that right - nothing wrong in that. Ellison really had no justification to over-react - especially to the extent I feel he has. He was a big boy (figuratively speaking).

I mean DC Fontana didn't cop to rewriting him for decades, and I used to have an issue of CINEFANTASTIQUE that has a letter from her specifically denying her involvement in any rewriting on CITY.
From what I've read, quite a few hands did re-write work on his Trek script. As for DC Fontana, I don't blame her. Ellison can, from what I've read, be a rather unrelenting, abrasive and argumentative person. Who wants that headache?

I'm very big on Ellison's nonfiction writing, less so for his screenwriting by a little bit, with his fiction lower than that ...
I've enjoyed his fiction and some of his television work. I've read only a few of his nonfiction pieces and have no complaints. In terms of talent, I think highly of Ellison.

... I've only come across a couple of instances where there seems to be any real inconsistency or sense of duplicity in his accounting and recounting of affairs, and I'd bet they were errors of memory ...
And I respect the fact we see things differently.