View Single Post
Old April 12 2013, 01:23 AM   #89
R. Star
Rear Admiral
Re: Janeway's Decision to Kill Tuvix

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
R. Star wrote: View Post
You can argue that Tuvix is morally a coward for not willingly sacrificing himself.
Yes, you can. And if Tuvix truly remembers what a Starfleet officer is expected to do - lay down his or her life to save a crewmate - then it is indeed cowardly for him to insist on putting his own life above that of Tuvok and Neelix.

Besides, Tuvix should have remembered the Vulcan logic he got from Tuvok. To restore Tuvok and Neelix is the logical move. There's no advantage to Tuvix's existence - he's not a better tactical officer than Tuvok, nor is he a better cook and ambassador than Neelix. And the principle of the greatest good for the greatest number is also a logical one as well.
So then since you're attributing a Starfleet officer's duty and a Vulcan's logic to Tuvix's actions, you're basically conceding accident or not that he is a person and he accordingly should have the choice of what to do with his life.

As for "advantages" to Tuvix's existence? Well Tuvix solved a problem in a day that had been stumping Tuvok for weeks and Janeway even said in her log entry his cooking was better and Neelix wasn't even Ambassador yet at that point. But that doesn't matter. You can't wave an executioner's axe over someone's head just because you do or don't think they're useful. Not in any civilized society anyways.

As I said, I'll concede the point that Tuvix was a coward for not sacrificing himself to save two others. Heck, Tuvix did that in the episode himself. But just because you or Janeway doesn't like his decision, that doesn't mean he loses all his rights as an individual. He was a person and he was executed for the crime of wanting to live. That's basically it.
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote