View Single Post
Old April 11 2013, 11:22 PM   #81
JD
Admiral

Re: Brannon Braga: Not a Diane Carey Fan?

SpaceCadetJuan wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
Studios' preference for more limited novelizations, faithful to the source and adding little or nothing, has been an industry-wide trend in recent years. It's not specific to Trek or to Pocket.
I'm going to show my ignorance here, but I just don't see the point. I mean, back in the day before home video, novelizations served a purpose-- it was a way to relive a movie or TV show you couldn't rewatch on demand.

Now that one can get your film or TV episode of choice on a half-dozen different platforms, what purpose does a bare bones novelization which regurgitates the source material scene by scene serve?
One of the things I used to love about reading novelizations was the extra scenes. The Star Wars Prequels for example have a bunch of scenes that weren't in the movie. I remember in AotC there are we got more with the Lars before Anakin and Padme end up on Tatooine, and RotS had the whole birth of the Rebellion storyline that was cut out of the final movie. I've had the Abrams Trek novelizations sitting on my to read pile since the movie came out, but I haven't read it yet since I found out there were no extra scenes.