View Single Post
Old April 11 2013, 10:05 PM   #60
teya
Vice Admiral

Re: Janeway's Decision to Kill Tuvix

Brit wrote: View Post
teya wrote: View Post
Melakon wrote: View Post
I see it as equivalent to any other Trek episode where a crewman is taken over and controlled by a noncorporeal being. Any captain would have tried to get his crewman back. For Janeway, two of the crew were being controlled by a single entity.
Tuvix wasn't an entity that possessed them. Tuvix was a sentient being created from them.

He did nothing to cause it; he was the result.
You are splitting hairs here because neither did they. The law would force someone to prove ownership, how do you prove that when you have those on one side saying no matter what when on before, no matter who was deprived of their rights, I am now in possession of this body and I am going to keep it.
No, the law does not force us to prove ownership of our own bodies.

Tuvix was created by a form of procreation: symbiogenesis. This was made clear in the episode. No one caused it, no one is at fault, no one's rights were deprived by another in the accident. It was an accident that created a new form of life.

And it's made quite clear in the episode that he is considered alive and sentient--which means that under Federation law, he has the basic right to life that *everyone* has.

And this is what I mean about prejudice. We can find all kinds of explanations. Taya, explains that her opinion comes from years of being in the medical field and I totally believe her, but another individual with that same experience can have a totally different opinion of this scenario.
Oddly enough, my views match the Doctor's. I doubt you'd find many in medicine who would disagree with the doctor's position. So, if I am prejudiced, that's my prejudice: forcing Tuvix to give up his life goes against the oaths we swear when we enter the medical professions.

That we as individuals have the right to make our own decisions about how our body is used is seen most clearly today in transplant medicine. You cannot be forced to donate a kidney or a portion of your liver to anyone, not even to an identical twin.

Now, we might consider someone selfish for not doing so, but I hope no one would ever argue that someone should be *forced* to risk his or her life to save another.

ETA: If you'd like to point out what other prejudices I hold, please, by all means feel free. But before you start throwing around "anti-choice" and "anti-feminist," you might ask yourself if you know that to be true.

Last edited by teya; April 11 2013 at 10:36 PM.
teya is offline   Reply With Quote