View Single Post
Old April 11 2013, 08:32 PM   #79
not
Lieutenant Commander

Re: "Plato's Stepchildren:" Kirk-Uhura Rape Scene?

Danger Ace wrote: View Post
I...the number two spot was the inter-racial kiss between Kirk and Uhura from "Plato's Stepchildren", and it was being hailed as an advancement. I could never get behind that notion.

Why?

Because it is painfully clear in the episode that neither Kirk nor Uhura were acting of their own free-will. They were forced, and that it is, by every definition, rape! It was, in fact, made worse by imagery of a white-on-black rape ...

So again, why is it celebrated? Was it truly a positive depiction? Did it really break a barrier? ...
1001001 wrote: View Post
"Rape" is most assuredly not the correct word.

You're correct about the story, but I imagine they simply gave themselves an "out" story-wise to make it more palatable to the masses.

He kissed her, but he didn't really kiss her.

Still, in context of the time, it was a brave decision to shoot that scene, so I'll give them a little credit.
Networks were subject to Broadcast Standards and Practices and I've come to realize the "rape" aspect was just the writer's attempt to appease and avoid censorship of an interracial relationship. After all, these popular characters were not going against 60's societal norms, they were being forced against their own wills

Ergo, the "rape" responsibility was never theirs but their mind controllers
not is offline   Reply With Quote