View Single Post
Old April 11 2013, 06:56 PM   #79
TheAlmanac
Writer

View TheAlmanac's Twitter Profile
Re: Brannon Braga: Not a Diane Carey Fan?

Christopher wrote: View Post
ronny wrote: View Post
AFAIAC, if Carey is not writing a TOS book she's totally slagging on the characters.
I thought her novelization of Voyager: "Flashback" was great. She had to double the length of the story, so she added a really good Kes subplot and a Paris subplot, and she expanded on the ending in a way that made it much more about Janeway's character rather than the pure technobabble climax of the episode. So I'd say it treated the characters pretty well.
Given Carey's attitude, I don't think it's that surprising that Voyager's tribute to TOS, featuring TOS characters, is the novelisation where she actually put in some effort. The other series' characters just happened to benefit from her elevation of TOS in this case.

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Thrawn wrote: View Post
Ancient Blood is pretty fun though.
It's widely hated, I know, but I rather like it. I especially love the Fighting Sail chapters. If Carey had written Age of Sail fiction, I'd have bought it all avidly.
That would've been nice, as it could've kept her from shoehorning it into her Star Trek fiction. Is Archer suddenly a sailing enthusiast in the "Broken Bow" novelisation?

(Ironically, now that I think about it, Reed's naval family history would've actually provided a legitimate excuse to bring up that sort of thing...)

The History of Things That Never Were
TheAlmanac is offline   Reply With Quote