View Single Post
Old April 11 2013, 04:46 PM   #27
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: Janeway's Decision to Kill Tuvix

teya wrote: View Post
And Janeway's wrong there. Life isn't a numbers game.
I agree with you.

The needs of the many do not outweigh the needs of the few.

But isn't that sorta how we determine elections?

There is a fictional US President from a (nonsuperhero) comic book called Transmetropolitan which is all about a reporter identical to Hunter S Thompson (Who wrote Fear and Loathing in las Vegas) but in the Future... And in one of the early issues the President referred only to as "The beast" says this through a mist of scotch "Do you know what my job is? Do you know what my fucking job is, you pissant? My job is to make sure that 51 percent of the population fed, clothed and happy, and the other 49 percent can go fuck themselves."

Holy shit.

Isn't that what Rom Miteny got caught on tape saying?

Shhhhhhiiit.

Numbers is democracy.

Starfleet isn't about Democracy.

Captains prerogative.

Different Captains make different decisions.

Most would lose their ship for taking either side on this issue.

But Janeway did not have to worry about consequences.

Would she had made the same decision in the heart of the Federation?

Probably not.
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote