View Single Post
Old April 11 2013, 01:39 AM   #43
Danger Ace
Commander

Re: no more TV in the future? WTF?!

Dal Rassak wrote: View Post
I can't see TV dying out even if complete immersion virtual realities as in holosuites could ever be invented. ...
TV will not "die" anytime soon. It will transform. Just within this past week I read two items regarding changing attitudes.

Firstly, the broadcast networks are having a harder time getting folks to sample their new one hour dramas. Folks are tired of getting into a show only to have it cancelled. On the flip side, the cable nets are finding the opposite since they generally order/renew on a season-by-season basis.

Secondly, more and more younger people are disconecting from cable and satellite televsion in favor of streaming services (such as Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc..) due to cost. The up to a year delay for new episodes doesn't bother them.

Factor that in with Netflix dipping their toe into the waters of original productions and you can sense of where things are heading.

In terms of "Star Trek," there are already rumors of new animated adventures and the possibility of a new live-action series. I believe TPTB are merely awaiting the results of "Star Trek Into Darkness" to make sure the success of the last film wasn't a fluke.