View Single Post
Old April 10 2013, 11:59 PM   #428
Miss Chicken
Little three legged cat with attitude

Re: What are you reading?

I have just finished Banished: Surviving My Years in the Westboro Baptist Church by Lauren Drain. Lauren was only 14 when her father decided to make a documentary film about the WBC. Originally a liberal he converted to the WBC way of thinking and moved his family to Topeka to join the church. When she was 21 years old the church decided to banish Lauren and she was forced to leave and is no longer allowed to have contact with her family. It is a moving story. 4/5.

I am now reading Zahrah the Windseeker by Africian writer Nnedi Okorafor-Mbachu. It blurb at Amazon says

In the Ooni Kingdom, children born dada—with vines growing in their hair—are rumored to have special powers. Zahrah Tsami doesn’t know anything about that. She feels normal. Others think she’s different—they fear her. Only Dari, her best friend, isn’t afraid of her. But then something begins to happen—something that definitely marks Zahrah as different—and the only person she can tell is Dari. He pushes her to investigate, edging them both closer and closer to danger. Until Dari’s life is on the line. Only Zahrah can save him, but to do so she’ll have to face her worst fears alone, including the very thing that makes her different.
Miss Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote