View Single Post
Old April 10 2013, 08:04 PM   #2317
Christopher
Writer

Re: sf/f TV development news - 2013

Enterprise is Great wrote: View Post
Hmm. Well, I'm glad that Syfy has so many space projects, but it's a shame they abandoned Robert Hewitt Wolfe's Defender. At least RHW has something in development, though it's an alternate-world urban fantasy instead.

Of course one can't really judge a show from these preliminary descriptions, but so far the most promising-sounding one is Sojourn. The idea of a show set on a sublight generation ship, stuck in that claustrophobic environment rather than being able to visit planets-of-the-week, is a nice one, not something that's really been done on TV, aside from the infamously bad The Starlost and a couple of failed pilots (Earth Star Voyager, Virtuality).

Infinity does sound derivative of Farscape, Stargate Universe, and the like, but the intriguing thing is that it's from Javier Grillo-Marxuach. Anything from the creator of The Middleman is worth a look (though I'd be happier if someone would just resurrect The Middleman with the original cast and crew).

I don't have a strong opinion about Orion and Clandestine, though both could potentially be worthwhile if done right. As for the former, it's always nice to see a show with a female action lead, but I'm not crazy about war stories. As for the latter, the "band of criminals" idea suggests parallels to Blake's 7 or Firefly, though I doubt it'd be much like B7 since Syfy's already making a reboot of that. Another possible way to go would be something more like Leverage or The Sting, with the criminals as comic heroes pulling elaborate scams.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote