View Single Post
Old April 10 2013, 03:01 PM   #94
Count Zero
Yeah, I know...

Re: Blake's 7 given the go ahead by Syfy

stj wrote: View Post
PS On the clothes issue...the deliberate use of anachronism, the pretense that nothing will ever change, is absurd. You don't have to live very long to know that things do change, even if you don't notice from day to day. The apparent need to pretend (I hope it's a pretense!) ignorance of an inescapable fact of life more and more strikes me as a sure symptom of hack writing.
Not sure who you're addressing here. Most of the stuff the crew wore were clothes from the time, bought in shops and sometimes slightly altered. It was a production with a low budget.

Starkers wrote: View Post
Of course the flipside is the plastic clothing of Tynus and co in Killer and the stupid silver jumpsuits in Terminal...
Aw, I like the silver jump suits.

auntiehill wrote: View Post
The most important thing about Blake's 7 is the Avon/Blake relationship, IMHO, and how Avon actually takes over Blake's position.

Any "new version" will have to work very hard to get that right, from the dialogue, the delivery, the nuisance of that bizarre hatred/admiration/loyalty/suspicion relationship.
That video contains some serious spoilers at the end, though. Those who haven't seen the show, yet, and have managed to stay spoiler-free should avoid it.
Otherwise, it's a great video and I agree with you about the importance of that relationship for the show. My favourite Avon moment is where one after the other transports down to a planet (I forget which episode it is) to look for those who've done so before without returning. Avon refuses, saying, "I'm not expendable, I'm not stupid and I'm not going!" until he's the last one left, finally in possession of the Liberator, and decides to go anyway.