View Single Post
Old April 10 2013, 06:11 AM   #220
Flux Capacitor
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Flux Capacitor
Re: arrrgh!!!!!!!!

Tora Ziyal wrote: View Post
^I agree, writing can be very helpful.

I have a question, coming from my own experience with nerve damage and muscle spasms after my spinal surgery: is your uncle getting physical therapy? I realize that he can't do exercises on his own, but a physical therapist moving and stretching his legs might be very helpful. My PT helped my muscles spasms far more than meds ever did. Just a thought.

Edited to add this article about physical rehabilitation that showed up online this morning. Fascinating! And cool timing.
Yes, when he was doing better he had a physical therapist come to the house and worked with him a lot. Lately, though, from what I understand his condition doesn't allow him much of that anymore.

Rhubarbodendron wrote: View Post
Flux, does your uncle like apricots? If so, get him to eat lots of dried apricots (untreated ones, preferably: the brown ones. The brightly orange coloured ones are treated with sulphur which causes flatulence). Apricots have lots of Magnesium and in dried ones the concentration is even higher. Mg helps against cramps and organically bound Mg is easier to take up for the body than the anorganic stuff in pills.

Also, a diet rich in vitamin B helps the nerve tissue to recover.
I know it's an idiotic example, but we once had a dog who suffered a severe brain injury before birth and had cramps and spasms (his mother had fallen down the stairs, 2 days before the puppies were born). The vet treated him with high doses of vitamin B and within a few weeks the little chap was almost completely healed. Of course a young organism heals faster but it might still be worth a try.

Also, your uncle being in hospital might be a good chance to raid his room for hidden pills.
Yeah, the hidden pills are taken care of. He's still in the hospital and I believe they're looking alternatives to the oxy. I'll let my aunt know about the apricots, thanks for that.