View Single Post
Old April 10 2013, 03:24 AM   #47
Christopher
Writer

Re: Why is DC so far behind Marvel in terms of movies?

The Overlord wrote: View Post
See the problem I have with that is, with the Hulk TV show is, they hardly had any characters from the comics in that show.
Well, yes, that's my point. It wasn't like the comics in any way -- in fact, other than the recent Mark Valley Human (Standing Next to the) Target, I can't think of a single comic-book adaptation that had less in common with the source material -- yet it's beloved by many Hulk fans to this day because it was, quite simply, a good show in its own right. Fidelity to the source, in terms of action or visuals or anything else, is nice, but its absence can be forgiven if the show is just plain well-written. People try to concoct so many explanations for what factors make a show succeed or fail, but they're overlooking the simple and obvious answer: good writing, good acting, a talented staff. As long as you have those, the rest is negotiable.

I want the character stuff and the fantastical elements, if a TV show can't deliver that, then I don't care about it.
But you don't need special effects to do fantasy. A lot of good fantasy stories have been told simply through ideas and situations. You know why the original Star Trek had so many stories about telekinetics and godlike beings? Because it doesn't cost much money to have one actor hold out his hand and another pretend to be thrown across the room or strangled or rendered unable to speak. The story about Captain Kirk being split into two people? Sure, there were a few split-screen shots, but mostly the story was told through discussion and character interaction, the "effect" of the split conveyed through performance. SF and fantasy are about ideas, not just spectacle.

I think the Ang Lee Hulk failed because it was an overwrought character piece, that lacked some of the fun elements from the comics. I preferred the second Hulk film, which still had the character stuff, but had more of fun and fantastical elements from the comics.
Perhaps, but another problem with the Lee film was that it overdid the visual spectacle, with the overly literal comic-panel effects that were a constant distraction and just too cutesy for the film's own good. More FX doesn't automatically equal a better story.

Really frankly most live action TV shows based on super heroes have not impressed me period, most of the villains on the Flash TV show were made up or pretty bare bones version of their comic book selves.
At first the network didn't allow any supervillains at all; it wasn't until the second half of the season that the producers were given the freedom to use them. And Mark Hamill's Trickster is very well regarded; it was the prototype for his Joker from Batman: TAS (and Corinne Bohrer's Prank from the season finale may have been a prototype Harley Quinn of sorts).

Lets not get into the bad production values of Birds of Prey.
Which was on the same network as Smallville and thus, again, had a much smaller budget to work with than a show on ABC or FOX would have. It's nonsense to make a blanket generalization about all TV based on those examples.

Although I recenty rewatched BoP, and I didn't have much problem with the production values. Their digital cityscape of New Gotham was very impressive for the day. True, the production had a very stagey, artificial feel, but that was evidently intentional, since this was pre-Nolan and the show took its design and visual cues from the fanciful Burton and Schumacher films.

We don't live in Japan, they have more a boarder spectrum of animation then we do. Maybe the animation age ghetto will change in the future, kids animation seems to get away with more now then when I was a kid, but its here for now.
But by now, we should have people who grew up on B:TAS and Gargoyles and the like becoming decision-makers in the industry. So they should know better than to assume animation is just for kids. This should already be the future in which that's starting to change.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote