View Single Post
Old April 10 2013, 02:26 AM   #46
The Overlord
Captain

Re: Why is DC so far behind Marvel in terms of movies?

Christopher wrote: View Post
Nightowl1701 wrote: View Post
Sorry, I should have clarified that. I was referring to the whole "Flashpoint/New 52" mess where they rebooted the whole DC comic universe itself (and totally botched it).
But how is that an imitation of the Nolan films in any way? There's still plenty of fantasy and sci-fi, the Batman continuity has barely been changed from what it was before, and The New 52 has been widely critiqued for its sexist and pandering portrayals of characters like Catwoman, Starfire, and Voodoo, which doesn't seem anything like the Nolan films. The New 52 wasn't about imitating the movies, it was about responding to the growing market for digital comics by giving new digital-only readers a jumping-on point for the whole continuity.

The Overlord wrote: View Post
See that sounds good in theory, but you are making things less fantastic and more mudane in the process, what are you really capturing? How would you make X-Men or JLA work on a TV budget?
Good writing. At their best, superhero stories are about characters and ideas most of all. Maybe a live-action TV show can't serve the action as well as a comic, animated series, or movie can, but if the writing is strong enough, it won't need to. The Bixby-Ferrigno Hulk series had immensely less action than the comics -- just two Hulk-outs per episode, usually lasting just a minute or two each -- but the writing and character work were strong enough that it's admired to this day as one of the best comics adaptations to live action.
See the problem I have with that is, with the Hulk TV show is, they hardly had any characters from the comics in that show. Its alright show, you never get to see anything truly fantastic in that show. You never saw the Abomination or the Leader or a bunch of over the top characters from the comics, its not really the Hulk if its missing these fantastical elements. It feels like taking something big and trying to make it smaller, losing something in the process. Its not just about action scenes, its about doing all the major characters from the comics justice. I want the character stuff and the fantastical elements, if a TV show can't deliver that, then I don't care about it.

I think the Ang Lee Hulk failed because it was an overwrought character piece, that lacked some of the fun elements from the comics. I preferred the second Hulk film, which still had the character stuff, but had more of fun and fantastical elements from the comics.

Well, that's not really a fair example, since that was a CW show with a much smaller budget than a show on a major network might get -- particularly since 8 years' worth of cast and crew raises meant that the budget available for FX and action was a smaller proportion of the total. Also, it's worth noting that Smallville's FX and action improved greatly in the 9th season -- not because they got more money, but because the action sequences were designed more creatively so they got more bang for the buck.
Really frankly most live action TV shows based on super heroes have not impressed me period, most of the villains on the Flash TV show were made up or pretty bare bones version of their comic book selves. Lets not get into the bad production values of Birds of Prey. If it took Smallville 8 years to figure out how to do a good action scene, that is pretty faint praise, most shows don't make it to 8 seasons and most of the stuff with Darkseid was pretty bad in season 10.

Really something like Walking Dead, which is based on a comic book but is not a super hero series, works as a TV show, because as a concept it is less expensive and over the top then most super hero comics. I think Punisher could make for an interesting TV show on HBO or a cable channel like that. It is also a shame that HBO turned down Preacher, I actually think Preacher may work better as a TV show then a movie.

Really how many good live action super hero shows there been?
About as many as you'd expect per Sturgeon's Law, maybe around 10% of the whole. No worse that the percentage of good shows in any other genre.
I still think super heroes have fared better on movies then a TV show, I can think of way more super hero movies then live action TV shows I actually like.

You would likely have to use animation to make most super heroes work on TV, but then you get into the problems of the animation age ghetto.
Sadly true. I find it startling that, nearly a generation after Batman: TAS proved how adult and sophisticated animation could be, there even still is such a thing as the animation age ghetto. You'd think people would've figured it out by now.
Well they tried airing BTAS in prime time once and it didn't get great ratings, so I don't think BTAS really broke the animation age ghetto, it just resulted in an overall improvement in American kids animation overall, over the 30 minute toy commercials from the 80s.

We don't live in Japan, they have more a boarder spectrum of animation then we do. Maybe the animation age ghetto will change in the future, kids animation seems to get away with more now then when I was a kid, but its here for now.
The Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote