View Single Post
Old April 10 2013, 01:19 AM   #53
bbailey861
Admiral

Re: TOS: The Weight of Worlds by Greg Cox Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Just finished. Another very good stand-alone adventure (I forgot how much I missed those); it reads very much like an episode of the old series. Greg Cox has a great grasp of all the characters vocalizations - not unexpected - and it was easy 'hearing' all the familiar voices as I was reading. I enjoyed the humour studded throughout the story - even in the face of danger. It really was....satisfying to see Sulu play a very prominent role (as I alway envisioned he should ) and Uhura given the opportunity to strut her command presence; I hope we see more of that in the future - no matter who writes for us. I enjoyed our adversaries because as opposed to being bad for personal gain, they truly believed what they were doing and were simply misguided. I have to admit, what 'threw me for a loop' was the challenge between Jaenab and our intrepid hero, Captain Kirk. I wasn't expecting to see something of a sporting event (I found it very quiddich-esque) and it took me a little while to get into it. It was refreshing, though, that it simply wasn't a slug-fest, frankly, something I was expecting. The 'game' interspersed with the scenes of Spock and Vlisora were very well done - the action was very well paced and concluded well. It all reminded me of the old days. Thanks for the read.
bbailey861 is offline   Reply With Quote