View Single Post
Old April 9 2013, 02:32 PM   #2280
Christopher
Writer

Re: sf/f TV development news - 2013

degra wrote: View Post
add me to the camp that thinks Abrams is overrated. He seems to love twists for the sake of them and doesn't care about developing a story I.e. Alias, lost.
Again, you're making the mistake of assuming that Abrams is the head writer on every show he executive-produces. That's true of Alias but not Lost. Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse were Lost's showrunners.

Okay, I'll make it simple. Here's an exhaustive list of all the Abrams-produced TV shows where Abrams was actually the guy running the writers' room:

Felicity
Alias

That's it. Two shows, the last one of which ended seven years ago.

Next, here are all the shows that Abrams co-created and wrote and directed the pilot for, but then turned over to others to write and produce on a weekly basis:

Lost (created with Jeffrey Lieber & Lindelof, run by Lindelof & Cuse)
Fringe (created with Kurtzman & Orci, mostly run by J.H. Wyman & Jeff Pinkner)
Undercovers (created with Josh Reims, run by Reims)

And here are the Bad Robot shows where Abrams is just an executive producer:

What About Brian (created by Dana Stevens, run by various)
Six Degrees (cr. Raven Metzner & Stu Zicherman, run by Kenneth Biller)
Alcatraz (cr. Steven Lilien, Elizabeth Sarnoff & Bryan Wynbrandt, run by Sarnoff & Jennifer Johnson and later Daniel Pyne)
Person of Interest (cr. Jonathan Nolan, run by Greg Plageman)
Revolution (created & run by Eric Kripke)

Granted, Abrams does supervise all these productions; the various showrunners all consult with him and he contributes to the creative process and has approval over their decisions. But in recent years he's concentrated primarily on writing and directing movies and thus has left the day-to-day work on Bad Robot's TV shows in the hands of other people.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote