View Single Post
Old April 9 2013, 12:25 PM   #61
Scout101
Admiral

Re: I'm getting a motorcycle.

Flux Capacitor wrote: View Post
Oh, I absolutely plan to keep practicing. I have a couple friends who have volunteered to let me put around on their bikes to keep developing my skills. I just didn't want to get on their bike at all before I had at least taken this course. As for getting my own bike, even the "cheap" bikes are a little out of my price range right now in terms of paying cash so I'll need to save up for even a super-super-cheap bike at this point. It's not a matter of saving for something fancy, it's a matter of not having any extra income right now for anything over a couple hundred bucks.
I'm a little confused about why you took the MSF course now, then, and were looking at $5k+ bikes, if you can't come up with a grand for a starter bike. If you don't even have a spare couple hundred bucks, how are you going to afford a good helmet, jacket, gloves, boots, rain gear, insurance, maintenance, etc? It's not a super-expensive hobby, but it's not free by any means. Insurance alone should be at least a couple hundred bucks, especially if you don't have prior experience.

If you're clearly not ready to get a bike, I'd have waited to take the class until you were closer, i think. Now your skill are going to degrade quite a bit before you can get out there and reinforce them.

And unless you've got a friend that has a beat-up starter bike, I'd be pretty hesitant to borrow people's bikes to practice. Not worried about 65 mph wrecks on the highway, but dropping it in a parking lot and scratching the crap out of it, denting the tank, etc. Stuff that's not a big deal on a starter bike, but kinda ruins a Harley that someone spent $10-30k on...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote