View Single Post
Old April 9 2013, 10:37 AM   #57
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

Re: "Plato's Stepchildren:" Kirk-Uhura Rape Scene?

Danger Ace wrote: View Post
Caje wrote: View Post
Except, Nichelle Nichols did release an album in 1967 (and one or two sometime later). She was a lounge singer of modest talent (I say that because I'm nice). She didn't leave the show because she never had even the promise of anything better (or at all) - Oh yeah, and tha encounter with MLK.

Sleeping with Gene Roddenberry was a lottery win for her.
That's a bit harsh, especially considering that a lot of Trek actors never did anything else of note after the show.
Not at all. Nichelle was hired because she was having sex with Gene Roddenberry. He even fired another african-american actor to make room for her. Fortunately for her "Star Trek" took-off the way it did because she wasn't making by virtue of her talent as a singer or an actress.

But yes, I agree, Trek was a windfall for both Takei and Koening as well. I spoke of Nichols merely because she was the focus of the conversation. My main point was her singing wasn't good enough to support her showbiz ambitions though she was given opportunity.

Also I seem to recall someone mentioning how Gene Roddenberry was to thank for her getting some night club bookings too.
Melakon wrote: View Post
Roddenberry had known (or known of) Nichols at least since "The Lieutenant" days, where she made an appearance. A relationship of such type isn't unbelievable, since Inside Star Trek: The Real Story mentions her hiding under Gene's desk in a sweater and no knickers.
Melakon wrote: View Post
Roddenberry had known (or known of) Nichols at least since "The Lieutenant" days, where she made an appearance. A relationship of such type isn't unbelievable, since Inside Star Trek: The Real Story mentions her hiding under Gene's desk in a sweater and no knickers.
I agree. Actresses have been paying off producers with sex since the industry began. I even heard Gene nailed Bea Arthur and Bela Abzug (lucky stiff!).
ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
The sad fact is, GR was a sleaze bag in this regard. He cast TOS's female regular roles, all three of them, with women he was having sex with or getting sexual favors from, and it showed. STAR TREK suffered for this.

The really good, talented, and let's face it, better-looking actresses were getting work on other shows without trading favors for it. STAR TREK was good, but if GR had been a better man, the show could have been so much better.

Director Ralph Senensky alludes in his blog to a problem the show was having, with desirable actresses refusing to come in for guest roles on STAR TREK. Guess why.
Harvey wrote: View Post
Grace Lee Whitney disputes the Justman/Solow claim that she was sleeping with Roddenberry. Given the things she does admit to in her memoir, I believe her.

On the other hand, I think there is a good chance that Roddenberry was the nameless "executive" who sexually assaulted Whitney. Whitney won't name names, though.
You people are destroying my childhood, and I can't forgive you for it!

If the last is true about Whitney, then why did she still appear in the movies?
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote