View Single Post
Old April 9 2013, 02:31 AM   #44
Kai "the spy"
Commodore

Re: Blake's 7 given the go ahead by Syfy

Christopher wrote: View Post
Kai "the spy" wrote: View Post
No, let's have him lose his wife. Yeah, that worked so well on John Carter, so let's do it again.
Umm, it worked pretty well in Deep Space Nine. And Inception. And Up.
And Babylon 5, I know. The difference is those were all original shows/movies, while with John Carter (and this new B7) it's an adaption with the dead wife added for drama.

Count Zero wrote: View Post
Kai "the spy" wrote: View Post
The other thing is: "Blake - who is mourning the loss of his dead wife Rachel". Apparently, modern lead characters need to be traumatized wrecks. And the trauma has to be personal. Branded a child molester?! Nah, that's not close to the heart at all. Hunted by the government as Enemy of the State?! How unrelatable is that. No, let's have him lose his wife. Yeah, that worked so well on John Carter, so let's do it again.
Well, I stumbled over that detail, too, but if you think about it it actually was part of the original set-up of the show, as well, in some way. In the first episode, Blake learns that the tapes he's been receiving from his family are fake and that they're all dead (I hope I'm remembering this correctly). Also, Blake should have been pretty traumatised in the original show, too. After all, the government messed with his mind and memories, all his friends and family are dead and he's on the run from a totalitarian regime. It just never played a role in the original show because at the time such things were hardly ever portrayed in any realistic way.
You know, I'd be fine with it eating at him, but I'd hate to see it make him an emo. The success of NuBSG and its emo approach makes me worry in that regard. Yeah, have him mourn his loss, but don't make him a passive, self-pitying pussy. He's the leader of the rebellion, dammit.

"Fanwankery is what 21st century pop entertainment's all about."
cooleddie74

Kai "the spy" is offline   Reply With Quote