View Single Post
Old April 8 2013, 09:03 PM   #31
Christopher
Writer

Re: Blake's 7 given the go ahead by Syfy

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
Cancelled after 5 years(100th episode/syndication money sweet spot)
That assumes at least 20 episodes per season, but many cable shows these days have shorter seasons than that. (For instance, Eureka ran 5 seasons and had only 77 episodes.) I gather the first-season order for the new B7 is only 13 episodes -- identical to the length of the original show's seasons.

And anyway, if it does run for five years, that will be a major success. Few TV shows, particularly genre shows, last that long. Indeed, until ST:TNG, I don't think any SF/fantasy show in the US ever made it to a sixth season. Not to mention that the original B7 only ran for four years and 52 episodes.

Count Zero wrote: View Post
That's my take on it, as well. I'm a bit more optimistic but the probability that it will suck is pretty high. The original show is also an incredibly hard act to follow.
Actually I feel that Syfy has a very good track record with its original shows. There are some that aren't to my personal tastes, like Haven and Being Human, but in terms of actual quality they're all pretty well-done. I feel Eureka and Warehouse 13 were mediocre in their early seasons but got much better over time. And I never got into Sanctuary, but that was more to do with the off-putting virtual sets than anything else. The only original scripted drama Syfy has done in the past 5 years that I'd actually call bad is Galactica: Blood and Chrome. The last bad original scripted show they did before then was Painkiller Jane back in 2007. Okay, and Flash Gordon in the same year, but only in the first half-season -- it really improved in the back half.

So given their track record for the past five years or so, I'd say the odds of any given original scripted SF drama being good are considerably higher on Syfy than they'd be on one of the broadcast networks.

Admittedly, the fact that this is being done by Joe Pokaski of Heroes gives me pause. But he wasn't very high in that show's staff hierarchy, so he probably wasn't personally responsible for its deterioration, and thus I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote