View Single Post
Old April 8 2013, 09:32 AM   #40
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Re: Scooby Doo Mystery Inc. - New episodes 3/25

Christopher wrote: View Post
RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
I think a lot of things do get re-run a lot, but Cartoon Network seems to have a grudge against Mystery Incorporated for some reason.
Given how they've also treated Green Lantern and Young Justice, I suspect it's a matter of target demographics. CN and its advertisers want to appeal to younger viewers, and shows like those and SD:MI are more sophisticated and older-skewing. So they're just not getting the size or type of audience that the network and the advertisers are seeking.

Really, SD:MI was a Scooby-Doo series for people who don't like Scooby-Doo, such as myself -- so it follows that it might not appeal as much to people who are fans of the more conventional Scooby franchise. Sure, there were elements of homage, but also a lot of revisionism and deconstruction, and the stories, despite mostly following the standard formula, tended to be darker and edgier. And especially this last batch of episodes got increasingly dark and strange, and departed further from the sort of thing most people looking for a show about Scooby-Doo would expect or want to see. Honestly, I can see why CN might've been uncomfortable with the darkness and scariness of those last few episodes.
That's interesting. I am a (mild) fan of the original Scooby-Doo and some of its sequels and I liked this a lot. Your description makes it sound like something I'd dislike on various levels, and yet this was a re-imagining that I found to be as good or better than the original. The only similar situation that I can think of offhand is Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol.