View Single Post
Old April 8 2013, 03:37 AM   #2260
Christopher
Writer

Re: sf/f TV development news - 2013

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Liking and knowing Trek and TOS is no guaranty of success and quality.
Right. It's common knowledge that Harve Bennett and Nicholas Meyer weren't that familiar with Trek before making The Wrath of Khan, and while I'm not crazy about that one, most people consider it one of the best Trek movies ever. And of course you can go on Fanfiction.net and find countless people who love Trek passionately and know its minutiae intimately but whose stories are still utter crap. So the notion that there's any correlation between one's love for Trek and the quality of one's writing is just plain silly.

Though, not all the "hired guns" at Bad Robot are unfamiliar with TOS and Trek
Indeed not. Roberto Orci is a devout fan and Damon Lindelof is a moderate-to-strong fan, and I think Alex Kurtzman is moderately familiar with it. The strength of Abrams's "Supreme Court" is that it includes a whole range of perspectives from devoted fan to disinterested outsider, which helps them craft movies that work for audiences at both ends of that same spectrum.

and I'm pretty sure the "hired guns" who worked for Gene Roddenberry on TOS didn't know the characters either. Back then hire guns made up the bulk of a TV shows writers.
Again, absolutely right. You don't need prior familiarity with a subject to write a good story about it, because there is a thing called research that writers do all the time. If you need to write about a subject you're not familiar with, you study up and learn what you need to know. TV series have documents called writers' bibles whose purpose is to familiarize freelance writers with the basics of a show. Often freelancers are given copies of episode scripts or sent videos of sample episodes so they can get a feel for the show's format and style, character voices, etc.

And of course the show's own writing staff rewrites freelance scripts to make them fit the characters and continuity better. On TOS, Roddenberry himself rewrote the scripts to give them a consistent style and continuity -- which is why there was more out-of-character writing in the third season when Roddenberry stopped participating directly in the production.

Again, his "popularity" is based on success not being a "son of a suit", what ever that is.
I suppose he's referring to the fact that both of Abrams's parents are or were producers of TV movies. But of course you're right -- it's nonsense to think that that alone would make him popular. After all, the viewing audience doesn't care (or even know, for the most part) who his parents were, they just care whether they like his shows/movies or not. And lots of people do like them.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote